Monday, January 21, 2008

Watch This & The Princess Diaries 2

Watch this. Now watch this. Watch THIS!

This mantra from the weekend was brought on by none other than "The Grandparent Visit." In this case, it was Grandpa Pete and Grandma Joey, but any set of grandparents are liable to signal another rendition of the "Watch This" chorus.

Whether it's swinging "really super high" on the swing, or doing any one of 37 different jumps on the trampoline, or turning upside down on the trapeze rings, or counting to 50, every action (and reaction, it seems) deserves their rapt attention.

Or so thinks Lily.

I swear in front of judge and jury that Lily is not otherwise attention starved, but you wouldn't know it whenever a grand-parental unit is in town. She's always been a bit of a performer, even without the benefit of the larger audience. But when they arrive, it's as if the stage lights have been flipped on, the curtain opens, and "It's showtime!"

The always-wondering-in-the-back-of-my-mind-whether-I'm-mothering-the-right-way side of me questions whether all the praise she receives in return for the "Watch This"-es will send her self-esteem rocketing into the dreaded high-and-mighty territory. But the side of me that enjoys her unbounded enthusiasm at performing usually trumps the worrisome side.

I suppose if she really does strike it big someday and become a diva surrounded by paparrazi, I can console myself with thinking she will be able to support my retirement in style on some tropical beach.

On another note, I felt compelled to report on the princess party for which I attended this past weekend. It was quite tolerable actually. There was no Bud Light, but Sierra Nevada pale ale was supplied. There was a moment of irony at the beginning of the party, when Lily, arrayed in her Cinderella costume, immediately headed to the birthday gir's play kitchen and picked up a mop.

Then of course there was an interesting turn of events when the Cinderella character the parents hired turned out instead to be a woman billing herself as Sinderella. Seems THAT princess normally does bachelor parties.

Lest anyone think that really happened, I will assure you it didn't, but several parents and I stood around contemplating the possibilities of such an occurrence.

Thanks to my friend Cheryl, who sent me the following comic last week. I thought it was quite timely and appropriate so am including it here.


1 comment:

Ace Kell said...

Raising an only boy, I'm fascinated by the princess world that I myself gave up at around age 7 or 8. Conversations in my household usually include blood and bodily noises, guaranteed to prompt laughing fits, and the TV is always tuned to some sports game or "Dirty Jobs." Ahh such is life -- I'll live vicariously and joyfully through your blog! Please keep it up!! And, if you ever figure out how to tame the picky eater, I'm all ears. Mine doesn't like peanut butter or mac and cheese!