Thursday, March 20, 2008

Yikes!

I do believe I heard the most jarring words a mother can ever expect to hear from her little baby girl this morning. No, it wasn't "I hate you." She's already tried that one out on me, and as unsettling as it was, it didn't come ANYWHERE CLOSE to what she uttered today. No, on our way to school this morning, Lily began speaking of her classmate Ben - the cute little toe-haired boy who announces Lily's arrival to the class each morning and runs over to give her a hug. She was talking about this little Lothario, and then out of the blue asks... "Can he sleep with me?" The word "NO" shot out of my mouth faster than a bullet from Wyatt Earp's gun. Of course I had insinuated my adult brain into her innocent request, but my mind made the mental leap before I could stop it. Lily and I subsequently compromised, and I left a note for Ben's mom in his cubby to see if the kiddos could have a play date sometime soon. I declined to mention Lily's other request.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would have said NO, but for different reasons. I remember when I was 4 or 5 and we had a little girl from school riding with us in the car. I pitched quite the fit about sitting in a car seat like my little brother when she wouldn't be. (remember, this was in the early 70's) I didn't want to seem like a baby in front of a peer. Now imagine what bedtime would be like when it came time to put a pull-up on Lily with any of her little friend's spending the night. Or worse, imagine the morning after if we gave in.