Sunday, March 8, 2009

Anatomy Lessons

So the other day when I drop off Lily at school, her teacher Ms. Heather comes and asks me if I saw the drawing Lily brought home from school yesterday.

Now, I look through ALL of Lily's drawings, but honestly, since she produces them at an astonishing pace, I can't say I spend more than a couple of seconds looking at each. And for the most part, I promptly forget about them immediately afterwards.

So I quickly rack through my recollection of yesterday's artwork, murmuring a muted "uh-hum" to the teacher, all the while wondering if my precious daughter just happened to illustrate something that would ring the alarm bells of school psychologists.

"Did she tell you what it was?" Ms. Heather asks.

"No," she didn't, actually," I respond, which is unusual, because Lily typically likes to describe her creations in graphic (no pun intended) detail. "What was it?"

"She drew a uterus for the class."

Oh boy.

Or in my case, oh girl.

Did I mention Lily's excited about becoming a big sister?

Yes, apparently Lily had drawn said anatomical part, knew the exact pronunciation, and told all 31 of her classmates what it was. Considering I've been getting many pats on my stomach from said classmates, I'm surprised none of them came up to me and asked me about my uterus on that day.

Ms. Heather was amused, to say the least. She's the type of teacher who would probably turn the uterus drawing into some sort of learning opportunity for the kids.

I'm just relieved she didn't ask me to come in and be a guest speaker on the topic.

No comments: