Friday, October 17, 2008

It's the Great Pumpkin, Lily Lee!

Yesterday, I woke up with as much anticipation as I had in a long time, eager to drop Lily off at school where she would then embark on her first-ever field trip. To the pumpkin patch no less.

I then whiled away the long hours at work, equally eager to arrive home and have Lily regale me with the tales of her great adventure. I pictured her brimming with excitement, running out to the car with her treasured pumpkin in hand, grinning from ear to ear, and rambling on about how "e'siting" her day had been.

I was wrong.

"So Lily, tell Mommy all about your field trip!"

"Well, we went on the bus, and then we went to the punkin' patch, and then we came back."

Maybe she just needs some prompting, I thought.

"So how was the bus ride?" I asked.

"Good." This from the child who yearned to ride the bus almost as soon as she could pronounce the word.

"Who did you ride with on the bus?"

"Clara."

"So what exactly did you do when you got to the pumpkin patch?"

"Well, we walked around, and Jacob's daddy (or maybe it was Elijah, Evan or Devon's daddy) picked up the pumpkin for me."

At this point, Lily has concluded her end of the conversation and walked away.

Indelible impression the field trip was not. And here I thought the trip was going to be a big milestone, and the ensuing conversation would result in an idyllic moment of mother-daughter bonding.

I guess I'll have to wait for the next opportunity, I thought. Then Lily returned.

"Jacob's daddy (again, or Elijah, Evan or Devon's daddy) said good cookers can make a pumpkin pie. Can we make a pumpkin pie?"

"Yes Lily, we can."

1 comment:

STQ said...

May I be the first to complain that you haven't updated this in over TWO WEEKS??? I know, I know, I have no life, but I love to read your posts! :) Oh, and about your question of whether I like Vegas or not. Let's just say not, but I try to be upbeat about it since it seems to be my lot in life.