Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Big "B"

Lily is four, going from three to two. Or maybe four.



Wheels, that is, As in from a petal pink retro tricycle to a bubble-gum princess pink two-wheel bicycle (or four, if you count the training wheels.). The Big "B."



In any case, it's a huge milestone for her, attained after earning 15 stickers for going to bed and STAYING in bed like she's supposed to do. Never mind that it took 33 nights to get 15 stickers.



It's almost superfluous to say, but it's a huge milestone for me too. And a "My baby's growing up" bittersweet milestone as well.



The prize is the far-from-one-and-only Huffy Disney Princess "Enchanted Tales" girls' bicycle, complete with a mini-backpack, bell, handlebar streamers, and those cool wheel spinner thingies that insert between the spokes.



We get home and the bike requires some assembly, so I ship Lily off to the neighbor's house to await its completion. I manage to finish most of the assembly solo, and only need Pete to finish up the hand brake. Although he insists on checking all my previous work. "So what if I only had to use one of the four tools the instructions said I would need? I do not, repeat, do not need an Allan wrench."



Soon, Lily descends upon us.



"Yeeesssss!," she screams while vaulting across the neighor's yard. The helmet goes on. Quick tutorial on proper coaster brake operation. And with a stretch of her legs and a little push from behind, she's off.



And soon after, I see it. A glimpse into my already-too-quickly approaching future.



Lily riding away.











1 comment:

burpeema said...

oh my gosh, what memories. I had a pink huffy bike with a banana seat and streamers too! what a sweet post.