Monday, May 19, 2008

Auf Wildenstein

So a few final observations on Germany: 1) Contrary to the title of my last entry, it was the Autobahn I was on. Turns out even though you always hear the phrase “THE” Autobahn, they really mean “the” Autobahn, as in “the” highway. A generic term in other words. The journalist in me had to get that editorial correction in there. 2) If you plan to visit the touristy sites in Munich, work out on your stair climber for at least two weeks preceding your trip. Munich itself is pretty flat, but many of its attractions (Peterkirche tower, toy museum, Residenz) have lots and lots of stairs. I climbed more than 500 of them on Saturday, 305 in Peterkirche alone. Yes, I’m a dork and I counted them. 3) Leberkas, Bavarian meatloaf, is yummy. 4) So is Munich.

Loved the weekend, because it meant I got to talk to Lily and Peter both days, never mind about work or the time difference. Before I left, I had written out 14 little notes for Lily – one to find and open each day while I was gone. I thought maybe she wouldn’t miss me so much if she had that constant tie to me each day. In any case, I put the number of days until I got back at the bottom of each note. So I was talking to her Saturday, and I said, “Did you find Mommy’s note today? Only 8 more days til I get home.” At which point she promptly informed me that there were 9 days til I returned. And I corrected her and said it was really only 8 days. And SHE SAID the note said 9 days. At which point I SAID the note must have been wrong, b/c it was 8 days. And SHE SAID…are you ready for this?…, “But you wrote them.”

Yes, my daughter is a Smart a**. I think she must get that from Peter.

No comments: