Thursday, August 21, 2008

Art Appreciation

Luck fell upon Lily and me today, as my fellow working-mom friend April had the day off and we arranged a playdate with her son Rex. (I cannot get Lily back to school and among her fellow 4- and 5-year-olds fast enough, lemme tell ya). In any event, April suggested we take advantage of free museum day in Austin and head out to the renown Blanton Museum of Art. The start of the museum jaunt was extremely auspicious, as there was a sculpture (of sorts) outside that resembled spaghetti hanging to dry.





The spaghetti invited people to run through it gleefully, not unlike a human car wash, so of course it was a magnet for the kids. Thus began Lily's cultural education. Then we went inside.
There was a nice temporary exhibit on Japanese prints, not that I saw much of that since Lily decided at that point in time she had to make her once-a-day potty run. There was also a lovely European painting section that held almost no interest for the kids. Also a Greek plaster cast exhibit (ditto). But much of the museum is occupied with contemporary modern art, both of the painted and 3D, multi-medium variety. All I know is when it comes to modern art, I just don't get most of it. Lily summed it up even better, I thought. Roaming into one of the galleries, she said, "Look, a room full of scribble scrabble!" Gotta love it.

No comments: