Sunday, August 24, 2008

Lullaby...and Good Night

The other night, Pete walks into the bedroom and asks me, "How's your pipes?" I was puzzled, wondering briefly if he'd spotted a leak in the kitchen or bathroom, when he then clarified and said he was speaking of my singing voice. Lily it seemed, had requested me to sing lullabies. I asked him why he couldn't sing her lullabies, and he CLAIMED he didn't know all the words. Yeah, sure... In any event, Lily was camped out, or camped "in" as it were, in her giraffe tent in the living room. So after dispensing with a couple of lullaby standards, I decided to take advantage of the computer proximity and surf for music videos of real singers singing drowsy diddies. A few clicks later, and Harry Connick was crooning "Edelweiss" to The Bug. Mid-song, she piped up. "Mommy, I like it when YOU sing lullabies better." No, I couldn't have heard that right, could I? At its worst, my singing voice is screechy. Even at its best, it's still off tune. She couldn't possibly choose my voice over Connick's smooth, satiny vocals, could she? But she did. You know the old saying, "Has a face only a mother could love." Well, I have a voice only a child could love. But love it she does, inexplicable though that might be. And with those sweet words, I too, got a good night's sleep.

2 comments:

burpeema said...

That's so funny, my mom used to sing Edleweiss to me too! I found the same tunes when I was making a lullaby mix tape, Shawn Colvin singing love me tender, Carnie Wilson did a whole CD, etc. I found some other pretty cool ones, Jack Johnson Lullaby, Beautiful Boy John Lennon, Lullaby and Godspeed by Dixie Chicks, Didn't Leave Nobody But The Baby Alison Krauss & Emmylou Harris, some reggae lullaby thing called 14:59 and that Yukalalee (sp?) version of Over the Rainbow seem to do it for Joaquin.

Momsoon said...

Oh yeah, I love that Iz version of Over the Rainbow. I will have to check out some of those other tracks you mention. Glad to hear you've returned from your road trip.