Sunday, December 7, 2008

Gay Bars and Alternative Drug References

Betcha I got your attention with this title. Not what you'd expect for a mom blog, huh? But to the points at hand.

I'm not sure I would have anticipated this so early in Lily's life, but she visited her first gay bar this weekend.

Now before you pick the phone to call Department of Children and Family Services, let me explain.

The bar, Austin's Rainbow Cattle Company, was the site of a private dance party to celebrate her friend Audrey's 5th birthday party. It was actually a fabulous idea and venue for a party, especially in contrast to the Chuck'E'Cheese birthday special. Give the kids a huge open space to run amok in and burn off energy, and presto, your child falls asleep by 8 p.m. I can't even REMEMBER the last time Lily went to sleep that early. Of course, it had its downside since I was asleep by 8:30 p.m. Sigh.

Back to the birthday party. Interestingly enough, I think the music selection for the 5-year olds wasn't all that different from what the club probably plays on an ordinary night - "YMCA" and "It's Raining Men" among the headline songs. Hmmmm...

Now on to the drugs....

Lily has been very helpful of late coming up with naming suggestions for the baby. Her suggestions invariably follow three rules. She picks a pair of names - one for a boy, and one for a girl. The names typically aren't real names, and the pair of names rhyme. Some of her past nominations include "Cammy"/"Clammy" and "Wally/Dolly." So yesterday, Lily, P. Daddy and I are sitting at a restaurant eating lunch, when Lily decides to nominate more names. This is what she said, and I swear I'm not making it up.

"Maui. What about Maui? Maui Wowie! Yeah!"

P. Daddy and I busted out laughing so hard, we had restaurant patrons asking us what was so funny.

As did Lily. "Why are you laughing?"

"We'll tell you in a few years, Lil..."

No comments: