Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What a "Bah-gan!"

A germ-a-phobe I am not. I interpret the 5-second rule about eating dropped food quite liberally - somewhere along the lines of 20 seconds (about the time it takes before the dogs manage to find said dropped food and clean it up.) And admittedly I bestow a lot more kisses on mild cuts than Neosporin.

But there's just something about the idea of wearing used shoes that I find...ah....disagreeable. So of course the first thing Lily's eyes spied at Chatham's First Congregational Church yard sale this morning was a pair of sea blue sparkly sequined slipper sandals. I'm not all that fond of yard sales, but we were passing by en route to downtown and the sandals just gleamed and glimmered away, too irresistible for her 4-year old girly eyes.

I inspected said shoes, and they did indeed seem to have a layer of that ubiquitous sand embedded in the sole. But they weren’t otherwise obviously filthy or rank. Not that my nose ventured too close to them to really tell. So I shelled out the quarter and Lily promptly abandoned her beloved flip-flops to don these instead.

Yuck.

On the other hand, my eyes happened to land on an 8x8” baking pan, perfect for the brownie mix I had purchased before realizing my rental unit didn’t come equipped with all my beloved baking supplies. Now I realize that some people might find the idea of used cookware far more objectionable than used attire, but in my mind, it was a find. And at 10 cents, what a “bah-gan!”. I’ve heard New Englanders are renowned for their thriftiness, and I think I would have done them proud.

Gotta go now - there goes the timer on the brownies.

Yum.

1 comment:

Romi said...

hey cathy,
Romi from True mom confessions here...love your blog and want to connect re: your True Mom post about candy theft in February. email if you can!
rlassally@gmail.com