Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I'm Back!!!

I know you all (all 6 faithful readers) had probably given up by now, certain that my fingers would never again grace a computer to add to this blog page, but really I was just sort of busy with other things - like a wedding and a honeymoon. But I'm back, with a full 56 days remaining before I need to return to work, and so I anticipate filling this blog with lotso' entries between now and then. Not to mention catching up on all my friends blogs (Maria and Susie especially) that I've been missing out on.



So here's the obligatory words on the wedding and honeymoon. They were wonderful and amazing and oh so memorable - just everything you hope a wedding and a honeymoon should be. We're already contemplating retirement options on Kauai. Loads of pictures of all wedding festivities and Kauai gorgeousness on Snapfish. If I haven't already sent you the links and you're interested, let me know. (There's too many links to post into this blog here, but I have attached one of my favorite wedding snaps)


I could reminiesce for lines upon lines of text about the wedding, but lest I forget, this blog is supposed to be more about Lily, so let me get back to her. Suffice to say now that Peter is officially and legally a member of the family (even though he's unofficially been part of the family 4EVR), expect him to make more appearances in the blog.

So now to the matter at hand - the Cape Cod summer. A.K.A. Cathy's sabbatical summer. A.K.A. the summer by the seashore. A.K.A. the summer where Mom really hopes to bottle some wonderful memories like you read about in Wondertime magazine or in perfect parenting stories. Memories about simple pleasures like building sand castles, catching fireflies, watching bubbles waft away in the wind, scavenging for seashells, splashing in the ocean surf, wiping sidewalk chalk dust off our legs, listening to Friday night band concerts, and doing somersaults on the lawn. This is the summer when bedtime is governed more by the light of day and less by the clock.This is the summer where she can learn to revel in all her senses - the sights and sounds and smells and feel and even taste of the seashore - and hopefully appreciate what nature is all about. This is the summer about having completely uninterrupted time with Mom. Or mostly uninterrupted. There will still be cooking and the occasional laundry to take care of, but that pesky thing called work won't get in the way. This is the summer where she can just be a kid.

It might be the only summer we can do this. 8-week vacations from work come along once in a lifetime, and (fingers crossed) Lily might have a sibling to share summers and parents with in the future. So I'm hoping this summer is sticky. Real sticky. Rest of her life sticky. Like all the ice cream and fudge we'll also eat this summer.

2 comments:

STQ said...

I am so glad you are back! If you have a counter, you can count me in for at least one visit per day!! I wish you a sticky summer as well - I know you guys will enjoy each other. When do you leave? Will you blog from Cape Cod? Your wedding was beautiful, and I am so thankful I could make it. Love to all of you!

burpeema said...

you're back! I was wondering if you were going to take a sabatical from the blog as well, but alas you have returned!
What a beautiful posting, you are a very gifted writer. The wedding looks like it was a blast, send me links to pics, I love Kauai!
take care,
maria